Friday 15 May 2015

My First Lagos Carnival Experience - Akanni Olamilekan





My ear drums have been apprehending waves of several gists about the annual event, hosted by Lagos Government, for couple of years now. This year, I decided to let go my imaginary thoughts of what Lagos Carnival does look like. I insisted I attend this year's edition of the event solely to catch fun, see live performances of couple our new artistes; CDQ, Kiss Daniel and co, get bae(s) contacts, return home safely. Ironically, what happened on that day was the in my arrangement.


Tafawa Balewa Square was really congested by different groups of people from different hoods with different intentions. I've been to couple of events that are as crowded as this (not free admission though), but this was so "different" to what I thought it would be. Choi! Some came to catch fun but many came to brawl so as to obtain stuffs, like phones, from people. My friends and I could hardly get a space to chill. We managed to make ourselves comfortable with an insight of getting the carnival's excitement.

Thereafter, the carnival began. Several groups of young and aspiring youths collectively demonstrated their carnival cultural presentations in uniform attires representing their various hoods in Lagos State.

Following couple of demonstrations, the governor-to-go, Babatunde Fashola, delivered his speech and immediately flew the premises.

The anticipation to see the invited artiste(s) rocking the stage demolished after a long wait and we (my girlfriends and I) left for home.

Walking down to Obalende Park, the three of us heading to different destinations, an action drama ensued.

An unknown guy suddenly tapped my shoulder, turning back to see who the dude was, a hot deafening slap bounced on my right cheek and all I could see were black and blue stars with sparkled lighting in the atmosphere.

I regained balance after another tried to give me a "raking kick" on my feet, but unfortunately couldn't get me down on the ground. In a snap, they were already five.

With the knowledge that Obalande aint my hood, all I had to do was to take my heels. They ran after me angrily, like I was a thief or something.  WT… #Sigh! I ran into a woman's store selling provisions panting heavily, yet, they never hesitated to get into the store and dash me the "beating of life" in recent times. Thus, what I have done they can't explain.

My friends ran to my direction, stood at the entrance of the store and continued to shout at the top of their voices; "please help us oh, we don't know them oh." The shop owner stepped out in joint effort to stop the hoodlums from entering her store. Those thugs didn't lay a finger on them though, may be because they were ladies.

The whole scenario called  for a dude's attention, who I can obviously call my helper. He ordered the thugs to leave immediately. They obeyed reluctantly. God knows who and what he is!

He explained that they were thieves and my outfit and charisma attracted their attention. Looking good is a crime now abi? I surprise oh! I was actually wearing a blue jean jacket alongside a blue shade, black round neck shirt, black pant and a cartoon-colour Timberland boot. I pulled the jacket when it was getting so heaty and unbearable, tied it on my waist before stepping out of the event centre. I obviously knew I was looking so fly, in compliment with the two beautiful girls at both sides of mine and the cell phones I was operating on our way down to the park.

That was I escaped their attack. Big thanks to my wonderful girlfriends and my helper. 

If you no wise for Lagos, you no fit wise again till you die! #GBAM!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Bro seriously God really save your sorry a**! Nice piece tho# DOPE